Thursday, January 23, 2014

DEEPLY ODD by Dean Koontz

Probably one of my favorite writers of all time, Dean Koontz brings us his latest offering and doesnt disappoint.

Deeply Odd
Dean Koontz
Bantam Books 2013



This is the 6th in a series of 7 books in the Odd Thomas series.

Our story opens with Odd Thomas using his extra sensory intuition to try to find the "rhinestone cowboy trucker" who has powers of his own.

If you have read the other books in this series you will have a better grasp of his character but that is not necessary to experience this book fully and enjoy it in all its twists and turns.
If you have not read Dean Koontz before be prepared to go off the deep end of literary waters as he writes from a deep and intuitive place he alone inhabits and you can follow along if you dare.
In the first few turned pages of Odd Thomas the reader is already being exposed to the idea of a long ago battle fought in an exotic place called Thermopylae by the Spartans and the Persians. Weren't expecting to read about Xerxes? Well there you go! This is what I mean when I say that you will go off the deep end of wordsmithing. His writing doubles back on itself more than the roads of Carmel and is chock full of his own internal chats and dialogue.

I would recommend this book but then I would recommend any book he has ever written. There is no equal to him among current authors and he should be appreciated for the treasure he is.
This is one writer who can make the most mundane hold a fascinating interest just by the way he places his words. If that is not enough to whet your appetite, I will leave you with a small appetizer:

Before dawn, I woke in darkness to the ringing of a tiny bell, the thimble-­size bell that I wore on a chain around my neck: three bursts of silvery sound, a brief silence after each. I was lying on my back in bed, utterly motionless, yet the bell rang three times again. The vibrations that shivered through my bare chest seemed much too strong to have been produced by such a tiny clapper. A third set of three rings followed, and then only silence. I waited and wondered until dawn crept down the sky and across the bedroom windows.

Later that morning in early March, when I walked downtown to buy blue jeans and a few pairs of socks, I met a guy who had a .45 pistol and a desire to commit a few murders. From that encounter, the day grew uglier as surely as the sun moved from east to west.
My name is Odd Thomas. I have accepted my oddness. And I am no longer surprised that I am drawn to trouble as reliably as iron to a magnet.

Nineteen months ago, when I was twenty, I should have been riddled with bullets in that big-­news shopping-­mall shoot-­out in Pico Mundo, a desert town in California. They say that I saved a lot of people in my hometown. Yet many died. I didn't. I have to live with that.

Want to read more? Try the Odd Thomas series. You will fall in love not just with the characters but with the author as well.

till next time, keep reading!


The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest minds of past centuries. - Rene Descartes














http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-conversation-20120729,0,4931427.story#axzz2qmOP6LRL

No comments:

Post a Comment

type="text/javascript" async src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js">/script>